Please see below for a message from Draper student Alex Ponomareff about this semester’s DSO Colloquium. Email Alex directly with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for papers, projects and presentations for this fall’s DSO Colloquium on ‘Practice’.
All aspects and interpretations of the topic are welcome. Your paper could address such things as:
· Practice as the work needed to achieve a goal. This includes the notions of practice making perfect, as well as it relationship with ideas of progress and perfectibility, and the notion of being out of practice.
· What is entailed when different fields and activities are labeled practices, such as the practice of reading or writing and also the medical or legal practices? What is different between a practice and a craft or a line of work?
· The practical as it relates to the impractical, the irrational, and the pragmatic.
· The practical joke, in its relationship to other forms of humor and to studies of humor in general.
· Discussions of praxis and its relationship to the theoretical.
· The manner in which our graduate studies are practice for a later life in the academy or for other fields that one might enter. Also, the notion of this colloquium as a form of practice.
This colloquium is limited to Draper students and provides an excellent opportunity to speak about a project you are working on and get input and ideas from your fellow students. Presentations will be 15-20 minutes long and do not have to be based on a completed project. Often a paper that is still in progress will yield a more fruitful discussion. That said, completed projects are very welcome as well.
For those interested in helping out with the selection committee, organizing the colloquium, or moderating please email Alex at email@example.com.
The DSO Colloquium on Practice is scheduled for Friday 3 December at 6:30.
Proposals (200 words) are due by 15 October to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please feel free to contact Alex with any questions.