The Bureau of Waste Prevention, Reuse and Recycling of the NYC Department of Sanitation is seeking up to six exceptional graduate interns for the following types of programmatic support for existing and new recycling and reuse programs:
· Fieldwork – accompany DSNY staff to potential sites to discuss programs, and complete site-specific paperwork
· Data entry – maintain records in an Access database on site visits, programmatic enrollments and daily program activities
· Public Education – develop and review content and graphics for administrative and educational materials related to programs
· Publicity – Interview and photograph individuals and businesses to document success stories in a case study format.
· Analysis – Document programmatic trends using basic descriptive statistics
· Supplementary Tasks – Interns may be asked to organize historical files on recycling program development and/or do ad-hoc research on other waste related topics as needed.
Students currently enrolled in a master’s level program, or exceptionally mature undergraduates, are eligible to apply. Recent graduates, including those graduating in May 2011, are ineligible to apply. A strong interest in the subject, a highly professional demeanor, and ability to work within a bureaucratic municipal agency structure are required for this position. Necessary skills include MS Word and MS Excel. Proficiency in MS Access, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, In-Design and/or ArcGIS are a plus. Must be available and willing to travel throughout the five boroughs on public transportation during business hours.
The position is paid and will begin in late May and run through the end of August. Interested applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter detailing experience and interest related to the qualifications listed above. The letter should specifically describe proficiency in the software products listed above. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed. Review of applications will begin immediately until the positions are filled. Applications should be addressed to Ms. Martina Rodriguez at email@example.com with the word Summer Internship in the subject line. Please do not submit applications to any other email address than this. Applications submitted through other email addresses will not be considered.